Organic farming is a kind of agriculture system that insists to grow crops without using chemical-based pesticides (herbicides, insecticides and fungicide), weedicides and synthetic fertilizers. Pesticides, These pesticides and fertilizers are very harmful and unhealthy. They also affect our nervous system. It also harms the crops; the soil and the environment. They also lead to water loss in the field and decrease the soil fertility. Toxin remainders are also found on food. These chemical inputs destroy the microbes in soil and consequently the mineral and vitamin content of food grown from it. Conventional food not only lacks essential nutrients, but poses risks to health from the presence of harmful pesticide residues. The British Medical Association say that due to the manner in which pesticide residues are stored in fatty tissues they may remain in the body for several years. Pesticide residues in food such as organophosphates are linked with cancers, foetal abnormalities, chronic fatigue syndrome, Parkinsons, allergies, (especially in children), and breast cancer in women. The US government has linked pesticide residues to the top three environmental cancer risks.
Organic agriculture combines tradition, innovation and science to benefit the shared environment and promote fair relationships and a good quality of life for all involved. It relies on ecological processes, biodiversity and cycles adapted to local conditions, rather than the use of inputs with adverse effects. Organic food is very healthy for us as there are no toxins added to it. Organic farming is environmental-friendly and it also makes the soil healthy, it increase water resistance capability. Organic food has a natural and excellent taste. Organic farming increases the soil fertility. It decreases the cost production too. Organic farming force to use on form inputs such as animal manure, green manure and compost. Organic farming creates ”living soil” which contains worms, bacteria other beneficial insects. An organic farmer can use both organic and biodynamic methods. If an organic farmer uses both organic and biodynamic methods it will be very beneficial to farmers, as the plants can fight against the pests themselves being it grow up in healthy environment. Organic farmers need a certificate to promote their products as pure organic food. An organic farmer gets the certificate after 2-3 years. This is called the “transitional period”, But even if the farmer does not have a certificate then also he has to follow all the strict organic farming practices & guideline defined by organic farming certification agencies.
Basic principles of Organic Farming(source based on wiki)
• The Principle of Health – Organic agriculture should sustain and enhance the health of soil, plant, animal and human as one and indivisible.
• The Principle of Ecology – Organic agriculture should be based on living ecological systems and cycles, work with them, emulate them and help sustain them.
• The Principle of Fairness – Organic agriculture should build on relationships that ensure fairness with regard to the common environment and life opportunities.
• The Principle of Care – Organic agriculture should be managed in a precautionary and responsible manner to protect the health and well-being of current and future generations and the environment
Advantages of Organic Farming Practices
• Organic farming provides long term benefits to the people and environment.
• It increases soil fertility.
• Control pests and diseases without harming environment.
• Organic policy force farmer to use 100% on farm resources which are almost at no cost. Hence it will reduce production cost.
• Produce nutritious food, which will have natural taste.
He studies in Class 5 at Delhi Public School – Bopal(DPS Bopal Ahmedabad), he love to explore the nature and the space.